Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 57 of 365

Thursdays just aren't good days for me. It takes everything I have just to get out of bed. I'm slow, I'm tired, I don't feel well. As I look back on my Thursday posts at what I've written (and what I've left out), there's been a pattern. A pattern of feeling icky.

I've been so hard on myself on these Thursdays thinking it was a lack of motivation on my part. But as I think about it more - and notice that my worst days of the week wind up being the same couple days - I'm pretty sure it's a medication issue.

I take my Methotrexate (that's the chemotherapy drug) on Wednesday nights. And on Thursdays I feel horrible.

It's sad that I take all these meds and don't know all the side effects. So upon further research, I found out that some of the common Methotrexate side effects are: Chills and fever; dizziness; flushing; general body discomfort; hair loss; headache; itching; lowered resistance to infection; nausea; sensitivity to sunlight; sore throat; speech impairment; stomach pain; unusual tiredness.

Hmm, a connection maybe?

I don't like being sick and don't like excuses. I want to be productive, move forward in my "process" (whatever that means) and make sure each day counts. But some days -  like today - feel like they aren't going to count.

So I did what I do when I just can't function. I organize something sitting down.

Today I organized my fabric closet. Something I don't have to think about, just do. I love the way it looks, and it gave me a chance to go through things in there and get rid of some things I just don't love anymore. (Although I do believe I will use up all my fabric and won't have to make the tough decision to get rid of it.)

I'm sending off some quilt blocks as a Pay It Forward and have a box of other things for donation.

The downsizing has begun.


And an exercise update: Hard to do, but I'm 11 for 11. 

9 comments:

  1. Wow - if I felt like you described I would have just crawled back into bed...but not you, you organized all your fabrics and did your exercises! I'm impressed. Hope you get to feeling better soon. ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did more today not feeling well than i did all day feeling ok. Tomorrow is a better day. Fabric looks great. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your organization of your fabric mine is just a mess you motivate me to get up and move. I have fibro and feel like this all the time it is hard to get myself motivated to get up and move. Hugs to you, good thing you noticed a pattern of the illness.
    -Rhonda-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow,
    I followed your thread from the Quilting Board. Your photo is wonderful and your goal of a picture a day is inspiring. I just left teaching art in the public school and want to shake my migraines and get healthy. I would love to try what you have done. I admire your tenacity and perseverance. Bravo to you! It takes grit to plow ahead when you are ill, even though you view it as a baby step.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are truly an inspiration. You have so much to be thankful for and I hope that helps with the pain you have. Keep thinking positive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That's all I can say! It is beautiful, something pretty to look at in the midst of something crummy to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my gosh I'm blown away that you did all that while feeling so horrible! AND, to boot, it looks like a magazine ad - both your organization and your photography. (please come to my house?) You inspire me in so many ways - not the least is your attitude, spirit, fortitude, your generosity and sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its good to find patterns in our lives -- sometimes it means we need to find some sort of motivation, other times it just reminds us that we are human and have limits in this case imposed by medication. I have fibro and RA so understand having days that aren't "good". I really appreciate the picture of your organized stash. I'm in the process of making my living room into a studio. Funny how we think rooms have to be put to the use for which they were intended by the builder ;) I live in an apartment, on my own. If I have company we go down to the lounge to visit because its air conditioned and more comfortable then my apartment. So I shook my head one day and thought "outside of the box" and here I am, in the thick of organizing my "studio"! My plan was to use a book case that has 16 sections for organizing fabric. I plan to get the comic book plastic cards to use a the core for fabric and then store it by colour. I already have a bin for "scraps" and that will fit on one shelf of another book case. I will get help in the colour organizing -- I'm visually impaired and have difficulty determining what colours actually are -- I have a wonderful artistic son and daughter-in-law who assist me with this task! I am so fortunate to have a place that I can convert into this purpose and the help to make sure that my colours are "appropriate" ;) Keep your chin up and I hope you are soon feeling much better. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for showing your beautiful stash. It is really an inspiration. Your idea to take a picture every day is great. God speed on your journey. Carol at Fiberartfancies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete